Some folks might call us a food desert, but we beg to differ. Check out our handy guide for where to get the best groceries without having to cross city lines.
Are we missing your favorite store, CSA or farmer’s market? Let us know
-Eastern Market Corp
Riopelle and Gratiot/Russell St and Market St
*Legendary farmer’s market open year round offering local produce, meats and baked goods. Keep an eye out for exotic ingredients and farm fresh dairy and eggs.
6000 W. Vernor Hwy.
*This is the place to get freshly made flour tortillas from Hacienda Foods and a great meat selection.
- Family Fair Food Center 700 Chene
* This Lafayette Park supermarket has a surprisingly large selection of our favorite but hard-to-find Chocolove Chocolates.
-Goodwell’s Natural Food Market
418 W. Willis St
*The unique urban natural food market stocks health foods and vegan/vegetarian/gluten-free prepared foods and groceries.
3472 E. Jefferson Ave
*Jefferson market with gourmet prepared foods, nice wine section and convenient online shopping.
2443 Bagley St
*HB makes deliciously fresh guacamole every day and always stocks hard-to-find Mexican ingredients and locally made tortillas. They even sell housemade chorizo by the pound.
5240 E. Outer Dr.
*This market is a local staple for fresh fruits and produce.
4206 Woodward Ave
*New minimarket in Midtown with fresh breads, health food and seasonal produce. They also make great wraps and smoothies.
10200 Joseph Campau St
*In diverse Hamtramck, this market is one of the oldest Polish (and European) markets in the area.
-R. Hirt Jr Co.
2468 Market St.
* They carry over 300 kinds of artisanal cheese as well as small batch jams, local dairy, chocolates, teas and handy kitchenwares.
- Rocky’s Historic Eastern Market
2489 Russell Street
* We love the spice bins, homemade peanut butter, imported vinegars and shelves of tea as much as we love their candy selection.
-University Food Center Market
1131 W. Warren Ave
*One of the largest ‘big box’ stores within the city limits and a great place for the basics.
-Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe
3100 Woodward Ave
*Recipient of Kresge Foundation grant to develop effective marketing plan and construction documents (opening soon in 2011).